Tuesday 18 December 2012

Letterpress Printing at Harrington & Squires

For my previously mentioned big birthday not so long ago, my lovely girl friends from university clubbed together and got me a days letterpress printing course at Harrington & Squires. I have been secretly stalking them for a couple of years and emailed them before to enquire about the course and what it involves so I couldn't have been happier (there were actual tears!). Harrington & Squires is run by Chrissie and Vicky and is based in a tiny studio up the road from me in Tufnell Park called The Corridor due to its tiny width. Spread over 3 floors, on the ground floor they have the shop/display space and trays of letters, the first floor is where the letter press printers are, with their office and pop up lunch table at the top. Along every wall hangs samples and test prints by them and past students. You can basically do whatever you want during the day but I went with quite a clear idea about what I wanted to print, a paragraph I'd ripped out of a magazine some time ago. After talking through the basics, showing us some examples of other prints, I spent some time setting my type before moving to the press in the afternoon. I won't go in to too much detail but I can thoroughly recommend the day to anyone interested in letterpress. Chrissie and Vicky are absolutely lovely and I could have have happily spent a week there experimenting with the different type. Here are a few pics from the day...
















No comments:

Post a Comment