Sunday 5 May 2013

A week in Vancouver


It’s been an age since I blogged last. I’ve been super busy with work, getting my website started and off on more holidays. On the plus side though this does mean that I now have loads more to talk about. I’ll start with the trip to Vancouver and my highlights, predominantly of course good stationery shops.

Staying in Kitsilano, we wandered round West 4th and Broadway found the shop Step Back that had a nice selection of vintage bits and bobs and some nice cards from, amoung others Smock Paper. 







Granville Island is a great place to visit and it’s worth spending some time round here if nothing else than to eat your way around the People’s Market. PaperYa is within one of the many buildings (get a map when you arrive) and have a great selection of cards, stationery, gifts and home wares. Here I picked up the lastest copy of my favourite Uppercase magazine (that was actually a stationery special – it’s as if they knew I was coming!!).











As soon as I found out my sister was going to Vancouver for a year I knew that I would pay her a visit and head to the Regional Assembly of Text (on Main Street). One of my first blog posts included a picture of a card that I had had framed. This was a Regional Assembly of Text card I had picked up in New York. I did attempt to plan my trip around the monthly letter writing club they hold in store but unfortunately this wasn’t possible. The store did not disappoint however and obviously I left with a bag of goodies.















Further along Main Street (which is well worth checking out) we popped into the craft wonderland Urban Source who seem to collect and sell all types of things saved from landfill (in a good way!)- a foundation course dream!




Vancouver seemed to have a small but growing design scene and by chance we were there the week that Made It came into town. Essentially a designers/makers market, we weren’t sure what to expect. Not a huge amount stood out but there was some really nice cards and notebooks from Think& Ink studio.







Other shops worth mentioning are The Cross (think Anthropology) and Berstein & Gold (nice interiors) in Yale Town. And finally on a food note, do not leave Vancouver without going for some lunch or dinner and several margaritas at Bandidas Taqueria that serves vegan Mexican food that’s a great price. Head there early unless you’re happy to queue. 

No comments:

Post a Comment